Saturday, August 9, 2008

And the biggest news of the day....

I was online earlier today, marveling at the sheer breadth of notable news events from 08/08/08 (and according to this wedding planner, in and of itself one of the coolest days of all time):


This bombing of civilians from airplanes seems amazingly World-War-II in its style and cruelty....next thing you know tanks will be crossing borders. And why is Vladimir Putin still running this show? The creep.

2) The opening ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics.

Fascinating. But is it possible that with 10,000 athletes and 15 million people in the city surrounding, we could go one day without a photo of Kobe Bryant?


And I'll confess, I was so caught up in my dating life recently that I failed to read the tabloid press working this story for months....nay years. No doubt the Edwards camp tried extra hard to time this on an otherwise heavy news day....like a Friday in mid-August during the Olympics...but the war had to have been, at the risk of being crass, a bonus diversion.

4) A guy in her actual age range winked at this blog's author on match.com. She enjoyed the self-deprecating humor of his profile, and that he was a lanky runner-type, so replied, cryptically. And he replied back! All in one day!

For the couple of you wondering...yes.....I renewed my subscription, for three more months. It was something to do with the feeling that I might, after all previous attempts, know what I am doing. At least more than I once did.

The current intended is from Lexington, MA. My "point of entry" was the Kansas City Royals baseball cap he wore in one of his photos; there were zero references in his profile to baseball or the Midwest. So I asked him to comment. He suggested he is weary of the rampant Red-Soxism in this city...many "bandwagoners".... so he wanted to wear a different cap to distinguish himself. He thought the interlocking KC and royal blue color were "cool." And he figured no one would accuse him of wanting to bandwagon on the Royals.

I wrote him back to suggest that I, too, choose not to wear the hometown baseball cap in Boston. And that my profile had a picture of me wearing the Twins cap I do choose to wear.

Funny, the two teams are playing each other this week. Maybe it's a sign.

No comments: