Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday playlist

Maybe I should assign WERS 88.9 FM its own label in this space, since lately I've been drowning in my love affair with the stream it's spitting out.

Today I was re-reintroduced to Susan Tedeschi and introduced to her husband, Derek:

Tired of living without
When others have so much
If I could find someone
To bring loving touch
All this time been wasted
No more words to spare
If I knew how to love,
I would take you there
Got my daily dose of Ben Folds.

There was a time when I had nothing to explain
Oh, this mess I have made
But then things got complicated
My innocence has all but faded
Oh, this mess I have made
Was reminded that Johnny Cash's cover of Depeche Mode (Personal Jesus, anyone?) makes all the sense and no sense all at once.

From the Wikipedia: "The song was inspired by the book Elvis and Me by Priscilla Presley. According to songwriter Martin Gore: "It's a song about being a Jesus for somebody else, someone to give you hope and care. It's about how Elvis was her man and her mentor and how often that happens in love relationships; how everybody's heart is like a god in some way, and that's not a very balanced view of someone, is it?"
And again, marveled that The Police's So Lonely is one of the most danceable depressing songs there is. (I immediately began chair-dancing at :51. You should too.)

Well, someone told me yesterday
That when you throw your love away
You act as if you just don't care
You look as if you're going somewhere
But I just can't convince myself
I couldn't live with no one else
And I can only play that part
And sit and nurse my broken heart, so lonely
A couple hours ago, I had flagged out the songs that I remembered most distinctly from 'ERS today -- swear it was done with no pre-meditation. Now as I cut and paste the lyrics, the melancholy run-through is not lost on me. While I'd suggest I wasn't in the best mood today ... hmmm.

Subliminal or not, I've got to kick this. It's the beginning of a crisp, fall (and for some, but not for me) 3-day weekend, and I've got to find a 21-mile run tomorrow morning, and this wallowy vibe, subliminal as it is, cannot prevail.  Heading over now to Boston University, to hear the Arneis (string) Quartet play a bit o' this:


And this.


Hoping there's lift somewhere in them there 'cello swipes.

No comments: