Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Taking care of itself

The relative hand-wringing I did over my future with last Thursday's lunch date seems to sort of sorted itself out.

After I wrote him Friday simply to thank him for taking me out, he responded on Saturday in his typically upbeat way:

"You did thank me. No worries. It was my pleasure.

"How does your weekend look? I think my next 5 days will be filled with scheduling and paper-writing/researching."
Did I mention he's a PhD student just starting a new semester?

Suffice to say, I didn't check my e-mail until Sunday at which point I already had plans for that day so it took until Monday for me to get back to him.

"I'm generally free at some point most nights, but i know you are getting your legs about you this week. I have tentative plans to go to NYC next Saturday for the long weekend but nothing in stone. Why don't we stay in touch as feasible to your sanity level and go from there."
So it's now been a day and he hasn't again responded. This is not in a general or practical sense unusual because, yes, he has 3 new classes and a paper to write that completes an incomplete. But, for context: in December, in the midst of final papers and the thousand more he had to grade for one of his teaching assistantships, he did indeed have the time to ping me the moment I logged onto g-mail. Over a period of several weeks, every day.

It's a women's adage ..... if a guy is interested in you, you will know. Because he will not stop trying to get in touch with you.

So perceived ambivalence, no matter the circumstances, is usually telling.

I've been wrong before, of course. But, just saying.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Thank you for writing this blog! :)