Monday, January 11, 2010

Motivation

Twenty days from today I plan to be in Washington DC, sparkly and lively, dressed to impress.

(Maybe a blonde too, yes.)

I've told you previously about my college buddy, Alan, who was elected president of the National Press Club. Who will be inaugurated during a black-tie gala on January 30 that is, naturally, at the same time, an irreverent tribute to the Midwest and Great Plains.

Sounds like my kind of party. Especially since there will be other folks from Minnesota, several from college who I haven't seen since college. Which is why I was pleased and honored to be invited to attend.

Which means I need to get my cocktail-dress mojo on, stat.

Because my default behavior at this moment generally involves Reeses Pieces and staying up until 3 a.m., wanting to look and feel good at my friend's gala is the best possible motivation to get back on track. I've mapped out a rigorous 3-week exercise routine. Mapped out a rigorous vegetable-eating plan and bought the groceries to fulfill it. Made my bed with fresh sheets and topped it with a fleece blanket to make it the desirable place to be on butt-cold January evenings, rather than at a bar adding calories and sleeplessness via beer consumption.

Tonight I'm going browsing at Lord & Taylor, to find further motivation in purchasing an evening gown for the first time since 2003.

And as always, I will make this blog a bastion of accountability.

And always, if I screw up, you will know about it.

But I'm hopeful I won't .... hopefulness being essential to the cocktail-dress mojo.

No comments: