Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Soulmate!

I am officially in love with the all-blogger website salon.com.

I wish I could marry it.

In all seriousness. I cannot say I've read a posting there I disagree with. The writers there-on must just be universally on my wavelength at this particular moment of my emotional life.

Take, for example, Kate Harding, who regularly tackles feminism issues on "Broadsheet." Today she wrote about Neenah Pickett, a 40-something woman who "launched a year-long husband-landing project at the blog 52 Weeks 2 Find Him." Who at the end of 52 weeks is still single. But who isn't heartbroken about it. She insists that the project allowed her to learn tons about herself, tons about the human condition in general.

In her discussion of 52 Weeks 2 Find Him, Ms. Harding pretty much says all I have ever thought about how a woman my age is often perceived for admitting she wants to find a companion .... and for aggressively going about doing so. Instead of paraphrasing or restating, I'll just link you to the piece, and pull out these paragraphs that well-articulate frustrations I often feel about the challenges of the male-female dynamic.

"Everyone knows a lot of things that grossly oversimplify the human desire for love and the nature of attraction, much of that "knowledge" revolving around the theme that women are peculiarly needy and, if they wish to date men, must focus all their energy on pretending they're not. The only way you'll get a man to commit to you is if you act like it's the furthest thing from your mind -- which means your best bet is to focus on being as pretty, charming and non-threatening as possible and, once a potential love is on the horizon, never doing anything that might spook him, like admitting what you want out of a relationship.

"That Neenah Pickett remains husband-free after knocking herself out to change that status can -- and no doubt will -- be presented as further evidence that desperation is the ultimate turn-off and playing hard to get is the only viable option for women who wish to be got. But focusing on her marital status means ignoring what she did achieve in the last 52 weeks. She went on over 30 dates -- some of which she describes as "awesome" -- gaining new insight into her preferences and her own behavior."

2 comments:

Mrs. Hansen said...

You know, I don't personally know Kate, but I know a good friend of hers (whom I believe also write on Salon.com) - which puts you at less than 6 degrees of separation. =D

Karin said...

@Mrs. Hansen. Besides otherwise already being awesome, your connection to such an awesome writer puts you on my short list. :-)

(BTW, your cabinets are to die for...)