Monday, December 15, 2008

Staying the Christmas course....

An article in the Times not long ago theorized that Facebook will most likely cause the demise of college alumni magazines.

Not long ago, I theorized (internally) that this blog would most likely be the death of my Christmas letter.

It's a project I love. It also annually hangs over my December, like wet fog, until it's written....and stamped....and photos chosen and arranged....and mailed to 130 addresses....with personal notes to all.....during a period where there already aren't enough hours in the day.....and I don't like to half-ass creative projects.....as in one year I was at the office cutting and pasting at 1 a.m. on a Saturday morning and then assembling the envelopes every night until the Martin Luther King Holiday....

It's 10 days to Christmas and the time crunch lords leap. Surely, daily updates from my life and all the pictures you'd ever want to see of me (on Facebook) could do a rank substitution this year....and surely I'm not the first to think this?

But alas. Conscience and circumstance object. Yesterday I opened my first 2 Christmas letters....from perhaps the only 2 couples in my circle who still use typewriters instead of computers ....and both of said, in some variation...."we always look forward to your newsy letter! It's always so creative! We love you!"

I don't like to disappoint George and Alys. Or Heimer and Vera.

Tonight is my last free night before 4 straight of holiday drinking and feasting. So thus the cutting and pasting and not-stopping-to-sleep-until-I'm-satisfied begins....!

(or simply continues)

(or, simply happens because I told you it was going to)

No comments: