Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hooray, snow (2).

Sunday update....hmmm, should take back the part about my neighbors liking me.

At 8:45 woke up to one of those annoying car alarms without an automatic shut-off, to wit:

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep

Many, many minutes lying with head under the comforter, willing the noise t0 stop. Finally, no more. Up from bed, throw open the curtains to seek out the culprit. Realize from the flashing lights on the Mazda 626 across the street that it indeed is my car, pissing me (and everyone else) off.

So on with the parka and the (borrowed) snow boots and out the door. (Two teenagers standing in the street, waiting for a ride, cheer my arrival.) Thigh-deep through yesterday's snow-plow crust, brush a foot of snow off the door, open, disable the siren.

Then back inside the apartment, pajama pants sopping, and into the shower.

Out of the shower, brushing teeth, realize that the beeping has resumed. So hat on over wet hair, fresh jeans and socks into now wet boots, and back out through the thigh-deep crust. Think the culprit is the car in front of me, parked 1.5 inches from the front bumper. Figure that my 1991 car has the sense to think an intruder is stealing the license plate. Luckily, there is room to back it up, and I do. The noise stops.

We'll see if it has remained stopped. Here it is, 1:30. I made it out to church on the #9 (albeit after a 45-minute wait) and am now out of the house for the afternoon...and have no idea if the car alarm has resumed in my absence. Praying to God the neighbors back in Southie aren't cursing my name.

I'm almost afraid to go home.

1 comment:

singinflute said...

Actually, I had the same problem with my Mazda. If you lock it with the key instead of pushing the driver's lock down it doesn't set the alarm. Call me if you still have problems. It wasn't actually a problem with other cars, it was a problem with the alarm on mine. I hope it's better!