Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Just saying (Christmas travel version)

In 10 years, I estimate I've made more than 40 trips between Boston and Minneapolis on hundreds of airplanes.

Would it hurt just once to have a flirtatious man sitting in the center seat? Rather than tonight's late-night companion: a Harvard Bookstore bookmark, put there by an aisle-seater reading an Ian McEwan novel and resembling my mother.

I'm not necessarily talking about the Mile High Club. Just a friendly man going to the same city. I always sit window seat....so he'd have to pass over my bottle of sauvignon blanc from the flight attendant. Then I'd say thanks. Maybe he'd smile to make me feel less travel-crusty. We'd chat about something besides my needlepoint project. I'd offer him the second half of the wine bottle. I'd offer to show him around the city the next day. He'd pull my suitcase down from the overhead bin for me. I'd put his cell number into my phone. Cheek-kiss and a wave at the baggage claim. He'd text to make sure I made it home OK....

(Aw, hell. I just read that back. My fantasies are starting to sound like a Harlequin Romance paperback. From the Lite, no-sex series.)

It's definitely time for a date.)

2 comments:

SpottedLop said...

LOL. I'm a single frequent business traveler who always takes the window seat. I have way too many of these fantasies. :D

Karin said...

@SpottedLop.

When's the next time you fly?