Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Deep Thought: (No) Facebook break-ups!

The last time I wrote about my friend Dave in this space, 3 years ago, he had just met and fallen in love with a girl. 

We haven't been as close of friends since -- life has moved on, it has little to do with his falling in love -- so I've been unaware of the ins and outs of his daily life.

But I am Facebook friends with both he and his girlfriend. Which means I had to swallow my surprise a couple nights ago when Dave went from being "in a relationship" to "single." Several friends commented on this change:  "What?!" and ":-( ". 

His next 2 status updates have been, appropriate for a man who lives and dies for karaoke, song lyrics by Billy Joel"Honesty is such a lonely word."  Which in the song is followed by "everyone is so untrue."

Ouch.


Over on his girlfriend's page, she no longer shows the "in a relationship" status but is not advertising the change. In fact, she has a series of status updates featuring exclamation points and platitudes about how much she loves everyone she knows. Which of course could be ironic. But of course I'll never know, because she and Dave will most likely go on being cryptic until this plays out -- one obviously airing his heartbreak, the other obviously not, from which the casual reader such as myself can infer much but know nothing.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not asking to know anything. But they're putting it out there either because they want someone to ask, or because they are people who have shared intimate details of their lives on Facebook and will have to make this announcement in this space at some point .... in which case everyone would ask, and probably make them feel worse.

Which brings me to my deep thought of the day .... that a benefit of the inability to establish a serious relationship of any length is that I never have to break-up on Facebook.

Seems as if it kind of sucks.

(And Dave, if you're reading this, let me know how you're doing ...)

No comments: