Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bikini Challenge BV: Whew

On Memorial Day afternoon I biked over to the Savin Hill hood of Dorchester for a picnic at the home of my friends Eric & LaToya.

I know several superb chefs in Boston and have eaten many platefuls of their superb grub in my time here.  And maybe I was just super hungry on Monday, but Eric & LaToya's BBQ spread wins my heart:

Chicken legs fired up crusty with tangy sauce and char residue.  Back ribs even tangier and crustier.  Corn cobs done just enough al dente that they don't stick in the teeth.  One potato salad done South Carolina and the second potato salad done Trinidadian, with peas and carrots.  Tiramisu (yes, tiramisu).  Chocolate cake.  A second helping of chicken, slathered with sauce.

Weight Watchers, be damned.

So you understand my justifiable fear of stepping on the scale yesterday.  Fear enough that I succumbed to the old tactic, just prior to weigh-in, of running several miles in humid temperatures to sweat out every ounce of excess water.

Which is why I was relieved to see another 3 pounds gone, the magic 130 barrier hurdled.
May 4 Poundage: CXXXVII
May 26 Poundage: CXXXI
June 2 Poundage: CXXVIII
June 20 Goal Poundage: CXXI
(Poundage to go: VII)
Whew.

Upon reflection, I shouldn't be as surprised as I am.   For the purposes of this blog, I just tallied this week's physical activity.   (OK, Weight Watchers, you do not be damned, since you help me track these things.)

Admittedly substantial:

Running:  6 runs totalling 30 miles
Biking:   2x everyday, totalling 100 miles
Walking:  5 jaunts totalling 10.6 miles
Elliptical machine:  90 minutes
Yoga: 1 Vinyasa Power Class
Weightlifting/core strength:  4 sessions totalling 120 minutes
So it figures that if I can maintain this routine for the next 2 weeks and don't have to contend with the food baby that comes via Eric & LaToya's BBQ skills ....

.... time to order the bikini?

3 comments:

veggiegal said...

WOW! I am SERIOUSLY impressed with your exercise tally! So much for an article I read recently, that exercise doesn't help to lose weight... :) Good luck again, seems like you're doing everything right! Inspiring :)

Brandi said...

Way to go, Karin! Impressive!

La Toya said...

Karin, what a wonderful surprise to visit your blog tonight, the first time in a several weeks, to find such praise for some simple BBQ. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I'm also really impressed by your exercise tally, given that I skipped the gym Friday, then ran today and endured two of Denise Austin's Belly fat Blaster workouts, and am now finishing off the evening by polishing off half a container of Haagen Dazs.....maybe one day I'll get to be as diligent as you!