Monday, November 16, 2009

Blowing the pop stand (a brief diary)

Hey folks.

Hi from Vermont. The north side. Waterbury in the off-season, to be exact. 190 miles northwest of the city of noise and chaos.

The great non-peopled open. Yes.

I've got my Mom & Dad in tow. They've been with me since Saturday afternoon, actually. Seeing the show. Getting me up for early church. Serving as chronic dining companions. All good. I've not been to Vermont in 7 years, but they've never been here. And they like it. It's leafless and cold but the sky is blue and I'm driving a sweet Toyota Camry rental with working shocks that corners with a kick and I-89 through the Green Mountains is as good as empty on Monday afternoon, BTW, and did I mention it's the off-season here? We are the only guests in a 20-room inn. The caretaker built a log fire and is making us omelets in the morning.

Beautiful.

Early this evening, just after 2 Triple Caramel Chunk samples from the Ben & Jerry's factory tour and just before my parents took me out for a bison burger and Otter Creek Copper Ale at the local pub, I stretched out on the sofa in our room and took a power nap while Dad watched ESPN SportsCenter. Best nap ever. For the first time in 2 months, after 2 months of every day trying to force my shoulders to demagnetize from my earlobes and wildly failing, they relaxed of their own accord.

And we had only been in Vermont for 5 hours.

It was something in the quiet. Maybe, after 3 years of not having a television, it was the ESPN (excoriating the Pats, BTW), too.

Tomorrow we'll have 18 hours here.

It's all good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

@Karin. Enjoy.