Thursday, October 14, 2010

Writes too well?

I took a work break late this afternoon to walk about the Back Bay with Claudia

(It's October, by the way, and you must visit the Public Garden if you haven't.  Go now or go later.  C paused frequently to take iPhone photos of mums and forsythia and the ridiculous green of the grass.)

She and I get out like this every couple weeks, in most weather.  I wish we did it more often.  We get coffee if we feel like it.  We stride manfully if we feel like it.  We stop if Claudia sees a "cute doggie!"  We stop and gesticulate wildly if one of us has an emotion to Express. Right. Now.  Whatever the prevailing mood.  I rarely return to work without knowing I've undergone a catharsis.

Today was no exception.  We hadn't spoken in 10 days and when 2 talkers get together ... well, yes:  wild gesticulation from both parties.

For my part, I had to certainly share the night of kissing, the Week 11 long run triumph, and a (what I thought was a well-articulated) e-mail I'd written to someone over a shared confusion.... and my puzzlement at why that someone hadn't yet acknowledged it, well after polite-response-period had passed.

Claudia is a sage and a writer I trust.  So back at the office, knowing she had context of situation in head, I forwarded her the e-mail for an opinion.  Which was:
"Hmmm ... such a lovely email to not respond to. Articulate. Honest. Makes ya wonder don't it? Sometimes it's hard to get together the wherewithal to respond to something that says so much, and so well, right away, and then you put it off a day and it seems not do-able ... your writing seems a bit effortless, which is wonderful, but perhaps a tad hard to 'match'"
Damn.  She's right.  Unintentional intimidation. 

Maybe I should have said:
"Hey there.  I'm confused about some stuff from the other day.   I'm sure talking about it could clear it up.   When can we meet?"
This might not have elicited a response either. Although it might have given more impression of an open door for someone to walk back through.

As right as Claudia is (and I say this without facetiousness), it seems odd that thinking hard and writing well might be the wrong approach to a resolution.

No comments: