Friday, July 10, 2009

A Friday in July

Yesterday afternoon 
the clouds moved out.

Today the city was 
drenched
in
sun.

Not an optical illusion.
There were simply no clouds.

I lay on the Copley Square lawn tonight
after a windless, humidity-free 4-miler on the Charles
(in the sun, natch),
with my feet pointing to the library and my head to Trinity Church, and
I rolled my eyes back and 
discerned only the metal outlines of the Hancock Tower, 
the glass within them was so blue.

Here's how I knew I was in a good mood:

I dropped $16 at the 
organic food stand of the Copley Farmer's Market, 
bagging up
organic celery ($4) and broccoli ($4) 
and sugar snap peas ($2) and cousa squash ($2)
and, of course, unshelled organic fava beans ($4).
Which I'm sure I'll figure out to prepare tomorrow, 
somehow.

I didn't get crabby at
the slower-than-usual staff energy at Starbucks 
that kept me in line for 10 minutes this a.m. and 
made me late for work
or
the slow-moving tourists strolling 4 abreast down Boylston 
this afternoon
or
the super-slow-flow style of the substitute yoga teacher tonight.

I got my 3rd e-mail 
from a newish boy on OKC 
who is 30 and
who is dark and lean and
who loves nothing more than running on the Charles and 
who said, in reply to my last e-mail,
"thanks for making me laugh ... again!"and 
who wondered if
our paths could try and cross soon.
I wrote him back a few minutes later and said
"yes, please, I think they could try."

This is how all the Fridays in June should have been.

But I'm not complaining about July so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

@Karin. Yes, we all feel that way around here. Nice prose poem, by the way.